CBD, unlike its controversial cannabinoid cousin THC, is paving its way in the wellness and health industry. Its increasing popularity is due to the benefits it provides and the non-existent psychoactive effects it has. But when we talk about CBD for runners or athletes, is it similar to pills or injections? No. There’s a growing number of athletes who are using these products because of the health benefits and low risks.
Why is there a need for runners to turn to CBD?
Often running is suggested as an exercise for overall health benefits.
It not only reduces a lot of health risks but it is also good for mental health. Thus, a lot of people have started to include this activity in their daily routine.
Running is not for the faint-hearted, though. There are times when it can lead to injuries and pain. Especially long-distance runners and professional athletes go through a lot of mental and physical stress while training. It is then that they turn to different treatments and medication to relieve pain and enhance their performance.
But what if there’s a natural way to do it?
WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) has officially excluded Cannabidiol (CBD) from its list of prohibited substances for competing athletes, allowing them to have a better, healthier, more natural option.
CBD´s increasing popularity is due to the benefits it provides and the non-existent psychoactive effects it has.
What makes CBD so special for Runners?
- It is non-addictive and non-psychoactive, thus by consuming it, the athletes do not get drowsy, and it does not affect their performance like other pain killers.
- Since our body has cannabinoid receptors, the intake of CBD naturally stimulates these receptors, which have an impact on pain and inflammation.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of CBD reduce inflammation in the body and help in the quick recovery of muscles. A certain amount of inflammation is good as it stimulates training adaptation, but after it reaches a certain level, it can hinder the training process.
- The pain-relieving properties of CBD are very effective for those involved in any type of physical activity. CBD oils, CBD creams, and lotions are a much better alternative to opioids, NSAIDs, etc.
- Usually, running leads to a few digestive problems, research shows that CBD intake ensures proper digestion.
- Pre-run anxiety is very common among runners. CBD helps reduce anxiety by boosting serotonin, (a low amount of serotonin results in anxiety). It helps keep away those mental demons.
- After an intense run, post-recovery is key, for which adequate sleep is needed. Not having enough sleep deters the muscles´ repairing process. CBD is an excellent aid to a peaceful sleep.
In conclusion, CBD is a versatile natural compound, which helps boost an athlete’s performance. It offers potential benefits and very few risks. In the fight against opioid-based medication, CBD is a key player.